the I in Me

In the wikipedia page on neurotrophins, there's a statement to the effect that adults have an enhanced capability to grow new neurons and synapses for about an year into a romantic relationship.


Neurogenesis would increase the capacity of our brain and thus the possibility of enhancing our capabilities. We therefore either choose to enhance our capabilities and god gives us the extra neurons or, we can stick with the experimental observation that the process of learning involves and requires neurogenesis.


Perhaps more important than asking what are we learning during this first year is, why, are we choosing to learn while in love? Procreation, with the purpose to preserve the Me, fits the bill well. I will not make the remaining connections here; I'm already on a detour.


Whatever satisfies the purpose of preserving the me will then allow us to increase our capabilities, I suppose.

Comments

Anonymous said…
tgvyvgyhvby

Popular Posts